Aftermarket Retractable Seat Belts 3 point: Read these retractable seatbelt instructions for 3 point Retractable replacement belts thoroughly before installing this safety harness.These instructions apply only to retractable seatbelts from Wesco. They are not to be used with seat belts for sale from other manufacturers or retailers. This 3-point retractable seat belt is not for use in aircraft or racing competition.
2 Installation Methods - Figure 1 and Figure 2
Spyder, Corvette, Spitfire, Sprite, Midget, mid to late 70's Ford Truck Seatbelts and More
Step # 1: Remove the existing seat belt and hardware including the long side of harness on the outboard side (towards the door) and the short side of the seatbelt on the inboard side.
Step # 2: There are 2 methods for installing this seat belt. It can be mounted on the side of the car along the door post as seen in Fig. 1 or it can be mounted on the top of the wheel well as seen in Fig. 2
Insert a new hex bolt through the (A) End of your new seat belt and then screw the bolt into the existing anchor point (threaded hole) located on the side of the door post or on the wheel well as shown in Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 My vehicle does not have a shoulder anchor point. How do I create One? Click Here!
Important If no anchor points exist, then special retrofitting procedures need to be taken to safely create anchor points.
Step # 3: Now do the same with the (B) End, by inserting the 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (Grade 5 or better) through the hole in the (B) End of your new seat belt and screwing the bolt into the existing anchor point that is located either at the bottom of the side of the door post near the floor or sometimes the anchor point is located on the floor of the car. (The hex bolt should be firmly tightened.)
Step # 4: This last step installs the short side of the safety seat belt at the inboard position (near the center of the vehicle). There are 2 types of ends:
1. Bench Seat End (20" floppy end)
2. Bucket Seat End (11" curved hard sleeve)
Bench Seat End Installation:
Using the hex bolt from the old seat belt or a new one from Wesco, simply insert the hex bolt through the hole in the (C) End of the bench seat belt end as shown in Fig. 3 to the left, and then screw the hex bolt into the existing anchor point (threaded hole) and firmly tighten. You're done and ready to enjoy your new seatbelt!
Note: With the "Bench Seat End" installation, No additional hardware is required whether the anchor point is located on the vehicle floor or on the side of the drive shaft tunnel (the hump that runs down the center of the vehicle floor).
Bucket Seat End Installation:
If the existing anchor point is located in the side of the drive shaft tunnel: Using the 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (Grade 5 or better) from the old seat belt or a new one from Wesco, simply insert the hex bolt through the hole in the (D) End of the bucket seat belt end as shown in Fig. 4. Then screw the hex bolt into the existing anchor point on the side of the drive shaft tunnel and tighten securely. The (D) End of the bucket seat end has a round plastic cover that can be replaced after tightening the bolt. You're done!
If the existing anchor point is located in the floor: Then an Angle Bracket Click Here is required as shown in Fig. 5. Attach the angle bracket to the floor of the vehicle using a grade 5 or better 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (as found in any of Wesco's hardware kits). The hex bolt should be firmly tightened. Now put the original 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (or a new one from Wesco) through the (D) End of the bucket seat end and then through the hole in the angle bracket. Attach a 7/16" fine thread Grade 5 lock nut (or lock washer and nut) and firmly tighten. The (D) End of the bucket seat end has a round plastic cover that can be replaced after tightening the bolt and nut. You're done!
| How to Use This 3-Point Retractable Seat Belt:
Just sit in the vehicle seat and pull the latch portion of the outboard side over your shoulder and across your body and latch it to the short inboard latch. For your safety our retractable seat belt has an emergency locking device built into the belt for your protection, which allows you to move freely unless the vehicle stops suddenly or is involved in an accident. Pull in a slow and smooth fashion as not to engage the automatic emergency locking mechanism. Now enjoy the comfort of knowing that you are protected by a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) #209 & #302 Approved safety harness!
Important: All belts should be fastened to vehicle anchorage points provided by the vehicle manufacturer. If your vehicle has never had 3-point seatbelts installed, then before installing these aftermarket seat belts, special retrofitting procedures must be taken to create anchorage points.
|Back to Top
WHERE FACTORY FITTINGS ARE AVAILABLE:
IMPORTANT: When available, be sure to use the vehicle manufacturer's provisions to attach belts. When you use the existing threaded floor, door post, wheel well or drive shaft tunnel fittings, it is IMPORTANT that all full threads be engaged to obtain the ultimate strength of the anchorage. Reuse factory mounting bolts or use 7/16th" grade 5 or higher bolts.
DO NOT attach this belt directly to the seat. Death or serious injury could occur in an accident if the seat is not designed to withstand the additional load.
1. Mount the short side of the belt INBOARD, toward the center of the vehicle.
2. Avoid rough or sharp edges when choosing a belt path.
1. Mounting hardware to the floor should always have metal-to-metal contact. You should avoid carpet, plastic or any other material between the fastener components and the floor which could tend to loosen over time.
2. Any bolt that is not used in a threaded hole must have either a lock-nut, lock washer or apply a thread locking compound for security.
3. Bolts used for mounting seatbelts should be a minimum size 7/16" diameter, Grade 5 product.
4. Anchor points for belts must meet the strength load requirements of FMVSS 210. When replacing belts, always use the anchorages provided by the vehicle, or safety harness manufacturer.
5. Do not connect both ends of this belt to the same, single mounting point.
Seat Belt Use
1. Always wear your seat belt when the vehicle is in operation.
2. Adjust and wear the lap belt portion low and snug across your hips.
3. Each belt is intended to restrain only one person at a time. Do not put two people under one belt.
4. Never attempt to restrain a child in your lap using the 3-point retractable seat belt around both you and the child. The child could be severely injured or even killed in the event of a collision.
5. Seat Belts are matched sets. Do not mix or use this belt or parts of this harness with other types of seat belts.
Use and Maintenance Instructions
Back to Top
Print and keep this instruction sheet for future review.
FAILURE TO PROPERLY INSTALL, USE, PERIODICALLY INSPECT AND MAINTAIN THIS SEAT BELT COULD LEAD TO SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH! PLEASE FOLLOW ALL OF THE IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW:
1. Inspect belt regularly. If the assembly does not work properly or you find cuts, frayed or worn webbing the belt must be replaced.
2. More frequent inspections may be necessary if the belt is subjected to harsh treatment or extreme conditions.
3. Whenever a vehicle is involved in a collision you must replace every part of the seat belt system; both sides of the belt including the mounting hardware!
4. Clean with mild soap and water. Do not bleach or re-dye as it will tend to severely weaken the webbing.
Universal Installation Information:
If the vehicle is equipped with seat belt anchorages, these should be used in lieu of other methods. All U.S. passenger cars, beginning with 1962 models, have seat belt anchorages for at least two lap belts in the front seat. Since 1/1/68, vehicle manufacturers have been required to install lap belt anchorages for each front and rear seating positions and upper torso belt anchorages at each forward facing outboard seating position (except convertibles). Since 1/1/72, this same requirement became effective for trucks.
CAUTION: DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY COULD RESULT FROM NOT PROPERLY THREADING THE WEBBING THROUGH THE ADJUSTABLE ENDS. MAINTAIN A MINIMUM OF ONE INCH WEBBING BEYOND THE ANCHOR.
CAUTION: IF THE FIXED END OF A SEATBELT IS TOO LONG TO ALLOW A SNUG FIT ON A SMALL OCCUPANT, DO NOT USE THE BELT! AS A GENERAL RULE, CHILDREN WEIGHING LESS THAN 80 LBS SHOULD BE SECURED IN AN APPROVED CHILD SAFETY/BOOSTER SEAT ACCORDING TO MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS!!!
Disclaimer. Please read: This product is sold without warranty expressed or
implied. No warranty or representation is made as to the product's ability to
protect the user from any injury or death in any manner of use. The user assumes
that risk. The effectiveness of this equipment are directly related to the
manner in which it is installed, used, and/or maintained. Proper installation is
solely the responsibility of the installer, and will not be assumed by Wesco
Performance Inc. - Racing Accessories.
Replacement SeatBelts Racing Seat Belts