Non-Retractable Seat Belts Installation (3 Point)
Replacement Seat Belts: Read these non-retractable seatbelt instructions for 3 point Non-Retractable replacement belts thoroughly before installing this safety harness. These instructions apply only to replacement seatbelts from Wesco. They are not to be used with seat belts for sale from other manufacturers or retailers. This replacement 3-point seat belt is not for use in aircraft or racing competition.
Step # 1: Remove the existing seat belt and hardware including the long side of harness on the outboard side (towards the door) and the short side of the seatbelt on the inboard side.
Step # 2: Either using the shoulder bolt that was removed from the old seat belt or a new Shoulder Bolt Click Here purchased from Wesco, insert the shoulder bolt through the (A) End of your new seat belt and then screw the bolt into the existing manufacturer's anchor point (threaded hole) located on the side of the door post. My vehicle does not have a shoulder bolt anchor point. How do I create One? Click Here! The (A) End is the end of the harness that has the length adjusting strap as seen above in Fig. 1 (The hex bolt should be firmly tightened.)
Step # 3: Now do the same with the (B) End, by inserting the 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (Grade 5 or better) through the hole in the (B) End of your new seat belt and screwing the bolt into the existing manufacturer's anchor point that is located either at the bottom of the side of the door post near the floor or sometimes the manufacturer's anchor point is located on the floor of the car. (The hex bolt should be firmly tightened.)
Step # 4: This last step installs the short side of the safety seat belt at the inboard position (near the center of the vehicle). There are 2 types of ends:
1. Bench Seat End (20" floppy end)
2. Bucket Seat End (11" curved hard sleeve)
Bench Seat End Installation:
Using the hex bolt from the old seat belt or a new one from Wesco, simply insert the hex bolt through the hole in the (C) End of the bench seat belt end as shown in Fig. 1 and then screw the hex bolt into the existing manufacturer's anchor point (threaded hole) and firmly tighten. You're done and ready to enjoy your new seatbelt!
Note: With the "Bench Seat End" installation, No additional hardware is required whether the anchor point is located on the vehicle floor or on the side of the drive shaft tunnel (the hump that runs down the center of the vehicle floor).
Bucket Seat End Installation:
If the existing anchor point is located in the side of the drive shaft tunnel: Using the 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (Grade 5 or better) from the old seat belt or a new one from Wesco, simply insert the hex bolt through the hole in the (D) End of the bucket seat belt end as shown in Fig. 2. Then screw the hex bolt into the existing manufacturer's anchor point on the side of the drive shaft tunnel and tighten securely. The (D) End of the bucket seat end has a round plastic cover that can be replaced after tightening the bolt. You're done!
If the existing anchor point is located in the floor: Then an Angle Bracket Click Here is required as shown in Fig. 3. Attach the angle bracket to the floor of the vehicle using a grade 5 or better 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (as found in any of Wesco's hardware kits). The hex bolt should be firmly tightened. Now put the original 7/16" fine thread hex bolt (or a new one from Wesco) through the (D) End of the bucket seat end and then through the hole in the angle bracket. Attach a 7/16" fine thread lock nut (or lock washer and nut) and firmly tighten. The (D) End of the bucket seat end has a round plastic cover that can be replaced after tightening the bolt and nut. You're done!
How to Use This Non-Retractable Seat Belt:
This seatbelt is a simple manually tightened safety harness. Just sit in the vehicle seat and pull the latch portion of the outboard side across your body and latch it to the short inboard latch. Then pull on the length adjusting strap shown in Fig. 1 to accomplish a snug fit. Now enjoy the comfort of knowing that you are protected by a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) #209 & #302 Approved safety harness!
Back to Top
Important: All belts should be fastened to vehicle anchorage points provided by the vehicle manufacturer. If your vehicle has never had 3-point seatbelts installed, then before installing these aftermarket seat belts, special retrofitting procedures must be taken.
WHERE FACTORY FITTINGS ARE AVAILABLE:
IMPORTANT: When available, be sure to use the vehicle manufacturer's provisions to attach belts. When you use the manufacturer's threaded floor, door post or drive shaft tunnel fittings, it is IMPORTANT that all full threads be engaged to obtain the ultimate strength of the anchorage. Reuse factory mounting bolts or use 7/16th" grade 5 or higher bolts.
DO NOT attach this belt directly to the seat. Death or serious injury could occur in an accident if the seat is not designed to withstand the additional load.
1. Mount the short side of the belt INBOARD, toward the center of the vehicle.
2. Avoid rough or sharp edges when choosing a belt path.
1. Mounting hardware to the floor should always have metal-to-metal contact. You should avoid carpet, plastic or any other material between the fastener components and the floor which could tend to loosen over time.
2. Any bolt that is not used in a threaded hole must have either a lock-nut, lock washer or apply a thread locking compound for security.
3. Bolts used for mounting seatbelts should be a minimum size 7/16" diameter, Grade 5 product.
4. Anchor points for belts must meet the strength load requirements of FMVSS 210. When replacing belts, always use the anchorages provided by the vehicle, or safety harness manufacturer.
5. Do not connect both ends of this belt to the same, single mounting point.
Seat Belt Use
1. Always wear your seat belt when the vehicle is in operation.
2. Adjust and wear the lap belt portion low and snug across your hips.
3. Each belt is intended to restrain only one person at a time. Do not put two people under one belt.
4. Never attempt to restrain a child in your lap using the 3-point non-retractable seat belt around both you and the child. The child could be severely injured or even killed in the event of a collision.
5. Seat Belts are matched sets. Do not mix or use this belt or parts of this harness with other types of seat belts.
Use and Maintenance Instructions
Back to Top
Print and keep this instruction sheet for future review.
FAILURE TO PROPERLY INSTALL, USE, PERIODICALLY INSPECT AND MAINTAIN THIS SEAT BELT COULD LEAD TO SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH! PLEASE FOLLOW ALL OF THE IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW:
1. Inspect belt regularly. If the assembly does not work properly or you find cuts, frayed or worn webbing the belt must be replaced.
2. More frequent inspections may be necessary if the belt is subjected to harsh treatment or extreme conditions.
3. Whenever a vehicle is involved in a collision you must replace every part of the seat belt system; both sides of the belt including the mounting hardware!
4. Clean with mild soap and water. Do not bleach or re-dye as it will tend to severely weaken the webbing.
Universal Installation Information:
If the vehicle is equipped with seat belt anchorages, these should be used in lieu of other methods. All U.S. passenger cars, beginning with 1962 models, have seat belt anchorages for at least two lap belts in the front seat. Since 1/1/68, vehicle manufacturers have been required to install lap belt anchorages for each front and rear seating positions and upper torso belt anchorages at each forward facing outboard seating position (except convertibles). Since 1/1/72, this same requirement became effective for trucks.
CAUTION: DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY COULD RESULT FROM NOT PROPERLY THREADING THE WEBBING THROUGH THE ADJUSTABLE ENDS. MAINTAIN A MINIMUM OF ONE INCH WEBBING BEYOND THE ANCHOR. (SEE FIG. 3)
CAUTION: IF THE FIXED END OF A SEATBELT IS TOO LONG TO ALLOW A SNUG FIT ON A SMALL OCCUPANT, DO NOT USE THE BELT! AS A GENERAL RULE, CHILDREN WEIGHING LESS THAN 80 LBS SHOULD BE SECURED IN AN APPROVED CHILD SAFETY/BOOSTER SEAT ACCORDING TO MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS!!!